Choosing the right school for your child is an important decision. We want to help you ensure that you find the “right fit”. Before applying, please feel free to contact us to obtain further information, book a tour of the school, or to schedule a meeting. Simply take a moment to fill in our Admissions Inquiry Form and our Admissions Team will get back to you.
We are beginning to accept applications for new enrolments for the 2022/2023 academic year. Some grade levels are currently projected to be at or near capacity for next year. We encourage prospective families to initiate the application process as soon as possible. This will ensure adequate time for us to answer your questions, review the application forms and schedule a class visit (or make the appropriate alternative arrangement).
If you are interested in joining us immediately we are open to mid-year inquiries dependent on classroom capacity.
1. Make an initial inquiry to ask your questions and to arrange a meeting or tour
Please contact us with your initial questions and to obtain information about our programs through our Admissions Inquiry Form.
A member of our Admissions Team will be in contact with you
- If you are interested in our Pre-Primary program, you will be contacted by Ms. Maggie McNevin, Head Teacher of our Pre-Primary program at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- If you are interested in Primary, Elementary, Middle School or High School, you will be contacted by Ms. Margot Louise, our Head of Admissions at email@example.com.
Both Ms. Maggie and Ms. Louise teach full time so please allow a day or two for them to get back to you.
While face-to-face meetings and in person tours are our preference, at present we will respond to your inquiries in the manner that best suits the needs of you and your family, and adheres to current public health mandates.
2. Initiate application process
Once you have decided that Shambhala School is a good fit for your family and are ready to initiate the application process let Ms. Maggie or Ms. Louise know. They will have our Head of Admissions, Ms, Susan Marsh, set up a profile in the Shambhala School parent portal so you can login and complete and submit the applicable application form and other required supporting documents.
Applicants for enrollment should submit:
- Student application form
- Student Recommendation Form (completed by their teacher)
- Report Cards for the current year and one previous year (for students entering Gr1 +)
- Psychoeducational assessment reports or other reports (if applicable)
3. Pay application fee
Applications will not be considered complete until payment of the $125 application fee has been received. This payment can be made by:
– eTransfer: please send to firstname.lastname@example.org . In the notes section please note the student name and the words “application fee”. The password should be “shambhala” (all lower case).
– cheque: please make the cheque out to “the Shambhala School” and make arrangements with our office at 902-454-6100 x1 to drop it off or send it to us at The Shambhala School, 5450 Russell Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 1W9
4. Student Visit
Once all of the submissions are received along with the application fee, the completed submissions will be reviewed and we will move towards setting up a student visit.
Ideally we would love to have each potential student visit the classroom, however this will be dependent on current public health guidelines. We will discuss options for classroom visits with you when you are ready for that step.
5. Notification of Acceptance
Within two weeks of the classroom visit (or alternative arrangement), we will notify you of the classroom teacher’s recommendation for acceptance.
6. Finalize your admission
To finalize your admission and hold your child’s place in class we required the following within 14 days of acceptance:
- A non-refundable deposit equal to one monthly tuition payment
- Registration arrangements and signed financial contracts (either full payment with applicable prepayment discount or arrangement for monthly payments)
7. Register for our Before and After School Program
If you are registering a student in Pre-Primary to Grade 5 and are interested in our Before or After School Program, please refer to the separate fee schedule.
We recommend for you to complete your enrollment for our Before and After School Program within 14 days of acceptance, but we do understand that your plans and arrangements may change and will accept enrollment in our Before and After School Program as space allows up until August 1, 2022.
Application and Recommendation Forms
During our enrollment season for September 2022, we will be launching our online admissions process. Once interested families have completed the inquiry process with Ms. Maggie or Ms. Louise they can indicate they are ready to move forward with an application.
Our Head of Administration, Ms. Susan Marsh, will set up applicants in our parent portal and applicants will receive log in information that will enable them to view and complete forms at The Shambhala School Parent Portal
Click here for details of the admission process and admission forms applicable to International Students.