Join our team!
Would you be interested in working in a school where faculty, staff, board and families are engaged in creating a well-rounded educational opportunity that educates the whole child and awakens basic goodness? A community that focuses as much on nourishing a child’s ability to navigate life, as it does on academic excellence? The Shambhala School of Halifax offers a unique work environment, where teachers are supported to bring their love of children into a developmental, creative and mindful approach, to an arts integrated and enriched academic program that nurtures awareness and invites compassionate society to bloom.
The Shambhala School is an independent, co-educational school serving a diverse Pre-Primary to Grade 12 population in North End Halifax. We provide an enriched curriculum that meets or exceeds the Nova Scotia Provincial Educational standards. Our curriculum is built on the five pillars of: Mindfulness/Compassion, Integrated Arts, Outdoor Education, Classical Literature/ History, and Society. The Shambhala School offers an inclusive, age appropriate approach to education that integrates arts and academics to ignite a genuine passion for learning. Our unique curriculum inspires students to grow into confident, creative thinkers with a strong sense of social and environmental awareness.
Diversity Statement: At our school, individual differences are recognized, appreciated and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s abilities and strengths. The Shambhala School is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally under-represented groups including but not limited to the African Canadian community, Indigenous peoples, and the LGBTQ+ community.
Current Employment Opportunities
Openings for 2023/2024
Part-Time Middle and High School Core French Teacher
The Shambhala School is seeking a dedicated and passionate individual to join our team as a Part-Time Middle and High School Core French Teacher.
At Shambhala School, we believe in fostering a holistic and well-rounded educational experience that integrates our pillars of mindfulness, outdoor education, community, arts education, and culturally sustaining academics. We are committed to giving our students the skills and knowledge they need to thrive in a global society while nurturing their personal growth and well-being.
- Deliver engaging and comprehensive French language instruction to middle and high school students.
- Develop and implement lesson plans that align with our culturally sustaining academics approach and curriculum.
- Foster a positive and inclusive learning environment that promotes mindfulness, respect, and cultural diversity.
- Utilize innovative teaching techniques and resources to enhance student engagement and language acquisition.
- Incorporate outdoor education experiences and community-based learning opportunities to deepen students’ understanding of French language and culture.
- Collaborate with fellow educators and participate in professional development activities to continuously enhance instructional practices.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to students to support their language development and growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, French, or a related field.
- Teaching certification or relevant teaching experience.
- Fluent proficiency in French and English.
- Strong knowledge of the French language, literature, and culture.
- Demonstrated experience in integrating mindfulness practices into the classroom.
- Familiarity with outdoor education principles and practices.
- Experience in arts education and a passion for incorporating creative and artistic approaches into language learning.
- Commitment to fostering a sense of community and promoting social-emotional well-being among students.
- Knowledge and understanding of culturally sustaining pedagogies and practices.
To apply for the position of Part-Time Middle and High School Core French Teacher at The Shambhala School, please submit the following documents to: [email protected]:
- Cover letter highlighting your teaching philosophy, relevant experience, and how you would contribute to our pillars of mindfulness, outdoor education, community, arts education, and culturally sustaining academics.
- Resume or curriculum vitae, including details of your education, teaching certifications, and professional experience.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The Shambhala School is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Join our dedicated team of educators and contribute to our mission of providing an exceptional education that nurtures our students’ minds, bodies, and spirit. Together, let’s inspire a love for the French language and culture while cultivating mindfulness, outdoor exploration, community engagement, artistic expression, and academic excellence.
The Shambhala School is looking to expand our roster of substitute teachers and caregivers.
We are looking for qualified substitute teachers for all levels: Pre-Primary, Elementary (Primary to Grade 5), and Upper School (Grades 6-12). The requirements are as follows:
- Pre-Primary – Applicants should have experience working with children aged 3-5 years. ECE certification is preferred but not required for substitute teachers, as you will be paired with an ECE teacher.
- Grades Primary through 12 – Applicants are required to have, at a minimum, an undergraduate degree with experience teaching in a classroom milieu. BEd is preferred, unless it is a specialty area (Music, Art, Drama).
To apply please submit your resume and letter of interest to [email protected] In your letter of interest please identify the grades and subject you would prefer to teach, and the grades and subjects you are willing to teach.
Upon acceptance to our substitute list, we will ask you to provide the following Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, First aid and CPR certification Level C (Pre-Primary only)